Wednesday, April 9, 2014

whimsical wednesday

we're playing "what's in a name?" for whimsical wednesday!  what does your name mean? and if you could name yourself, what would that name be?

theresa.  that's me.  named for my paternal german grandmother. the name derives from the greek verb therizo, which means to harvest. not a very popular name for girls, it was the 852nd name of choice in 2008. it's probably 1000+ by now! in 1952, the decade i was born, it was the 65th most popular name for girls. of all the name variants listed on wikipedia, i liked the name in polish: tesa.

since monday, our get ready day for whimsical wednesday, i thought and thought and thought about the name i would like to have.  such an undertaking is difficult because names are not so easily derived for one, especially oneself!  after much pondering i settled on lauren. i've never felt like a theresa and don't know that i feel like a lauren.  however, lauren feels more like me than my given name (grandmother's name notwithstanding!). lauren comes from the latin, of laurentum, from the place of the laurel trees. the leaves of laurel trees (also known as bay leaves) were used to create victory crowns for athletic events.

what does your name mean?  what name would you like to have? share with us here at the whimsey project!

8 comments:

  1. This is what I read up on my name:

    In part this is a feminine form of AMANDUS. However, it was not used during the Middle Ages. In the 17th century it was recreated by authors and poets who based it directly on Latin amanda "lovable, worthy of love". Notably, the playwright Colley Cibber used it for a character in his play 'Love's Last Shift' (1696). It came into regular use during the 19th century.

    I guess I've never thought I could be any other name, although it was a pretty popular name choice for people in my generation. Runners up for my name were "Tiffany" and "Ashley" according to my mom. I think I got the right name. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your name does suit you! thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Kathy, after my maternal grandmother, Katherine, means Pure. Jewell, after my paternal grandmother, Erma Jewell, means precious stone. So, my name means pure precious stone which I kind of like! Pretty sure my parents didn't research that when they names me!

    What would I like to be named? Not sure I ever thought of that except I always wished I was Katherine instead of Kathy. Some of my friends have called me Katie as a nickname. Thinking off the top of my head what I other name I might like, maybe Julie because I love almost anything Julie Andrews has performed in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you would be a wonderful julie. i'll call you katherine!

      Delete
  3. Megan: pearl
    name I want: river

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan--means Graceful lily, full of joy.
    Not sure where the folks got this name, but it was very popular during the 50s. One year at college there were more Susan's than any other name,and I'm beginning to think it is a law to be named Susan to live in Tennessee since there are so many of us--all my age though,no young ones. Too old fashioned for today.
    One problem I have had with my name is that there are so many variations--kids called me Suee--eeeee in grade school---after pigs. So, I do not like the name SUE. I do like Suzi--as a nick name, because it is happy and perky. However, I have to be Susan to get a job because no one takes Suzi's seriously. I like my middle name Elaine, and would kind of liked to have been called Lainie.
    I gave a variation of my name to my daughter as a middle name--Susanne--I liked how it flowed with her given name of Katherine--Katherine Susanne. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you make a good suzi. and would be a good lainie as well. does susanne mean the same as susan?

      Delete