Wednesday, December 5, 2012

whimsical wednesday

we are preparing for st nicholas day this whimsical wednesday.  as explained in the get ready.....  post of monday, when we were children, my siblings and i hung our socks (mostly set them on the kitchen table) before going to bed on december 5th. when we awoke on december 6th, the feast of st nicholas, we ran to the kitchen to see if anything was in our socks.  we found a bit of candy, a nickel or dime and a piece of fruit; usually an orange.  such excitement this simple treat brought. because it was such a fun holiday tradition for me growing up, it was also celebrated with my own children.  my grandchildren are now, too, enjoying celebrating the feast of st nicholas, the original santa claus.

the link offered on monday was full of great ideas on how to celebrate st nicholas day.  i read through all the recipes, activities, crafts before encountering SEND AN E-CARD.  i knew immediately this was the activity i wanted to undertake for whimsical wednesday.  because i have been thinking about memories of celebrating st nicholas day with my siblings, children and grandchildren, it seemed just right to share the memory with them through the e-card (which are free to send). tomorrow my siblings, children and grandchildren as well as a few friends will be greeted with a happy st nicholas day e-card from me.  we shall share celebrating st nicholas day together via the e-card!

2 comments:

  1. I had forgotten about St. Nick day, then I got an email card! How fun!

    ReplyDelete