Thursday, June 23, 2011

thoughtful thursday

the big move for my sister prompted a discussion about the stuff a person has.  the conversation was a different take on the topic of possessions.  it was agreed that the items a person fills their home with is, in and of itself, a statement regarding the people who dwell within that environment.  she and i agreed that we both enjoy being in the home of others and observing what they have about them:  the furniture, the accessories, the wall colors, flooring and all the rest.  a home filled with an abundance of art, books, music, photographs of friends, family, places speaks volumes about a person's personality and interests.  so does a home that is devoid of any or all of these items.  of course, there is no value judgement associated with a home that is all, nothing or somewhere in between.  it is just another opportunity to get to know about a person.  it becomes an avenue for conversation as, when i visit someone's home and something catches my attention (curiosity), i want to know all about it.  my desire to know allows the host to share the history of the object and what it means to them.  a connection is made!  for me, it's a fascinating treasure hunt.

3 comments:

  1. As I make our apartment as comfy as possible while we pursue our dream house, I find that what I miss most are the pictures of friends and family and adventures I had in my former home. While these have been carefully packed away awaiting new walls, I may have to try to find a few to scatter around just to soothe my soul. It's been an interesting process deciding what 'stuff' is needed for short term day to day living. It is so true that our stuff is what defines us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a side note, as mom and I were unpacking kitchen boxes, I found the box of bedclothes! It's like a treasure hunt! We all had a good laugh about it. However, I'm so happy with my bed creation, that I think I will just keep the packed comforter in the box for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the familiar does help to ease into new until it also becomes familiar. you are on an actual treasure hunt, finding possessions in the most unlikely of places! i discovered treasures helping mom/dad clean closets. and what i thought to be a treasure was really just an old household item, like a tablecloth or curtains, that invoked memories of the home i grew up in!

    ReplyDelete