Sunday, July 11, 2010

whimsical words

words in and of themselves can evoke a feeling of whimsey.  this notion encouraged me to create a list of words that i most associate with the concept of whimsey.  my list includes:
*chortle
*blissful
*enchantment
*mirthful
*relish
*guffaw
*merriment
*cachinnation
*hilarity
*escapade
*levity
*gambol
*exuberance
*gaity
*farce
of this list, the one i am fondest of is chortle.  think of a happy baby or toddler younger than two.  get them laughing and what erupts is that grand belly laugh that only wee ones can offer.  it makes me happy just thinking about it.  

what words comprise your whimsical words list?


(speaking of words, the whimsey project spells whimsy differently than typical.  whimsy, whimsey;  both are correct.  whimsy was already taken when the blog was created so we get to employ the uncommon spelling, which is very typical of me!)

3 comments:

  1. It is difficult to think of Whimsy at work ... except that AIP campers are watercoloring and that reminds me of the class we took with "indiscriminate blobs of color ..."

    ... and that phrase always reminds me of whimsy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am visiting my brother and his kids right now, and my 15-month-old nephew is still at the chortle stage, while my niece, at two and a half, is more in the hilarity camp :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are great whimsical words! i remember that class but i don't remember hearing "indiscriminate blobs of color...". now that it's been recalled, i'm glad to know them because they are great whimsical words. what could be sillier than indiscriminate blobs of color? that might end up as something the whimsy project will undertake. and it's grand to have a niece and nephew around to embody a few of the whimsical words on my list. chortle!

    ReplyDelete